University of Maine at Fort Kent
Campus Calendar Facebook Youtube Instagram
rounded end of search box field

Rural U Down East

Rural U Down East logo Rural U Down East is a partnership between UMFK and the University of Maine at Machias. By promoting online courses through Rural U, the collaboration seeks to expand early college options to students and schools throughout Maine.

The UMM Early College office works closely with high school counselors, and students receive full academic support both at their school and at UMM. Through UMM's early college program, students discover the rewards of learning at the collegiate level and begin a seamless transition to full-time college studies after high school graduation.

Students registering for a UMM course must have a 3.0 GPA or higher. For students that meet GPA requirements, tuition is free through the Maine Aspirations program. The Maine Department of Education covers 50% of tuition and UMM grants a scholarship for the other 50%. Students and their families are responsible for course fees and textbooks.

Students that do not meet GPA requirements can still take early college courses through UMM, but are not eligible for Maine Aspirations funding.

Without a 3.0 GPA, UMM will grant a scholarship for 50% of tuition for students residing in Washington County. Students and their families are responsible for the other 50% of tuition as well as course fees and textbooks.

Without a 3.0 GPA, UMM will grant a scholarship for 25% of tuition for students residing outside of Washington County. Students and their families are responsible for the other 75% of tuition as well as course fees and textbooks.

Course fees are $70.00 per 3 credit, online course. Some courses have additional, specific fees.

Students that successfully complete a Rural U Down East course will have grades placed on an official UMM transcript, which can be added to if the student attends UMM or can be transferred to another college of choice.

For questions please contact Christy Alley, High School Transitions Advisor, 207-255-1268.

Community Education in the News | Previous Community Education Programs

Community Education • Madawaska House, University of Maine at Fort Kent • 23 University Drive, Fort Kent, ME 04743
Scott Voisine, Dean of Community Education • voisine@maine.edu(207) 834-8644 | Jennifer Parizo, Community Education Specialist • jennifer.l.shapiro@maine.edu(207) 834-7583